We are hosting our first ever rapier tournament this month on Saturday, October 27, 2018. The prizes are fantastic with medals being awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each category as well as a sword also be awarded to each person earning 1st place. We’d like to thank Kultofathena.com for sponsoring the swords. Medals are provided by our club, Art of Combat European Martial Arts. If you are interested in competing, contact us here or email at email@example.com for more information.
The events will be as follows:
- Single Rapier
- Rapier and Dagger
- Rapier All Against All Melee
Fighting will begin promptly at 08:30 and will end when the fighting is over. The tournament will take place at WhiteHall Park in Woodway, TX just a few blocks from HWY 84.
Weapons: Rapiers and daggers must be rebated/blunt/dull and be significantly rounded and/or have a safety tip. The rapier or dagger must be made for sparring and competing safely. Weapons inspections will take place and will this rule will be strictly adhered to.
Legal Targets: Only the genitals are illegal. All are parts of the body are legal.
- 5 points for the head, neck, or torso
- 3 points for any other part of the body
- 2 points for a pommel or hand guard (hilt assembly) strike to the head.
- The first fighter to 15 points wins the match.
- Hits must be “Hits of Consequence” as determined by the Tournament Marshal/Official in each match. Light little taps with a flick of the wrist that would cause no actual or significant damage in an actual fight will not be counted.
- Controlled Take-Down – Regardless of points in a match, if a fighter takes down his/her opponent, maintaining sufficient control of him/herself and of the opponent, and makes a strike with a weapon on the downed opponent that would be a kill (head, neck, or torso), the fighter that executed the controlled take-down automatically wins the fight. The Marshal/Official will make the determination as to whether or not the take-down was sufficient for a win.
- Doubles: A double is when fighters hit each other simultaneously, or extremely close to simultaneously. When this happens, no points will be issued to either fighter. If three doubles take place in a match, both fighters lose the match and a loss is recorded for each of them. When the match is for a medal placing, doubles will result in a loss of 5 points for each fighter. A fighter must still achieve 15 points to win.
- HEMA Fencing mask/helm, or a period helm with mesh/perforated metal eye protection covering the eye slots.
- Gorget (that actually protects the neck and can be armor grade leather, steel, or contemporary HEMA). These will be inspected before hand.
- Torso padding in the form of a fencing jacket, gambeson, or fencing doublet must be worn. The garment must provide an acceptable level of padding. Your arms must be covered with no skin exposed. This can be done by a long sleeved shirt under your doublet as an example.
- Protective cup for men must be worn. No cup, no fighting. Female protection for the chest or genital area are not required, but are recommended.
- Gloves: Wear a pair of gloves for light hand protection and gripping. Bear hands will not be allowed.
- Knee and lower leg protection are also highly recommended.
- elbow pads are also recommended for those not wearing a fencing jacket or gambeson with long sleeves.
If you are interested in competing, please contact us for any questions you may have. This particular tournament is projected to be a smaller tournament this year, but the prizes are great!
Bro. Jeff Webb, Founder/Lead Instructor
A.O.C. European Martial Arts
We hope this posting finds you all very well and blessed. We are getting close to opening up new slots for those interesting in the possibility of training with us. We appreciate your patience.
Just a quick update for those interested in membership. We are still currently working with our Novice ranks as well as being in our tournament season. We are happy that a number of you are interested in the possibility of joining, and we appreciate your understanding. Remember that we are focused on quality and not quantity, so when we open up for acceptance of inquiries for membership once more, and if you are invited to join, know that your training will receive all of the focus and attention to high standards that we are providing for our current membership.
Once again, thank you very much.
Bro. Jeff Webb, Founder/Lead Instructor
A few years ago I was blessed to meet Grand Master Heinrich Jost of the Affiliation For Contemporary Swordsmanship and Medieval Martial Arts South Africa. What started as a simple contact from our school to his through his club’s web site rapidly developed into a lasting friendship. During my time knowing him, his chivalrous character is evident, and he has, according to French Knight, Geoffroi de Charny in his mid-14th Century work, The Book of Chivalry, achieved the highest level of Chivalrous honour, and certainly Grand Master Jost continues living a Chivalrous life in the service of his family, community and nation.
On the night of Sunday, March 11, 2018, as a member of his sector’s Community Police Force (an irregular or auxiliary-like force attached to the state police force) Grand Master Jost took part in operations against a well-armed gang that attacked the administrative offices of a golf course in Kyalami, Gauteng, South Africa. The gang’s apparent objective was the blow open the safe with explosives and then leave with the contents of the safe. The gang over-charged the explosives and virtually destroyed the offices. The gang was armed with AK47’s and 9mm pistols. Grand Master Jost took part in the pursuit of the suspects as they fled the scene of the attack. His pursuit took place on foot and over a distance of approximately 15.5 kilometers that night. During this pursuit, Grand Master Jost was personally responsible for the capture of three of the well-armed gang members.
For his actions at the risk of great personal harm, Grand Master Jost was awarded a commendation for bravery by the South African Police Force. His actions not only proved a vital service in keeping the people of his community safe, but also bring great honour upon himself, his family, and the Affiliation For Contemporary Swordsmanship and Medieval Martial Arts. We want to congratulate him and his achievement in the service of his community and country.
I pray that this posting finds you all well and blessed. This is to let you know that we are currently training up members in our Novice ranks, and to give them the attention in training they need, we are putting a hold on accepting new members at this time until this group is trained up and the Novice ranks once again open up. So, if you are thinking about applying for admission to the group, it will be some time before we start entertaining applicants (a month or so is the estimate,but may be longer). Again, this is to ensure the level of training is of the highest quality for our current members, and for those to be admitted in the future.
Thank you and have a blessed day.
Bro. Jeff Webb, Lead Instructor