Rapier Tournament This Month!
We are hosting our first ever rapier tournament this month on Saturday, October 27, 2018. The prizes are fantastic with medals being awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each category as well as a sword also be awarded to each person earning 1st place. We’d like to thank Kultofathena.com for sponsoring the swords. Medals are provided by our club, Art of Combat European Martial Arts. If you are interested in competing, contact us here or email at email@example.com for more information.
The events will be as follows:
- Single Rapier
- Rapier and Dagger
- Rapier All Against All Melee
Fighting will begin promptly at 08:30 and will end when the fighting is over. The tournament will take place at WhiteHall Park in Woodway, TX just a few blocks from HWY 84.
Weapons: Rapiers and daggers must be rebated/blunt/dull and be significantly rounded and/or have a safety tip. The rapier or dagger must be made for sparring and competing safely. Weapons inspections will take place and will this rule will be strictly adhered to.
Legal Targets: Only the genitals are illegal. All are parts of the body are legal.
- 5 points for the head, neck, or torso
- 3 points for any other part of the body
- 2 points for a pommel or hand guard (hilt assembly) strike to the head.
- The first fighter to 15 points wins the match.
- Hits must be “Hits of Consequence” as determined by the Tournament Marshal/Official in each match. Light little taps with a flick of the wrist that would cause no actual or significant damage in an actual fight will not be counted.
- Controlled Take-Down – Regardless of points in a match, if a fighter takes down his/her opponent, maintaining sufficient control of him/herself and of the opponent, and makes a strike with a weapon on the downed opponent that would be a kill (head, neck, or torso), the fighter that executed the controlled take-down automatically wins the fight. The Marshal/Official will make the determination as to whether or not the take-down was sufficient for a win.
- Doubles: A double is when fighters hit each other simultaneously, or extremely close to simultaneously. When this happens, no points will be issued to either fighter. If three doubles take place in a match, both fighters lose the match and a loss is recorded for each of them. When the match is for a medal placing, doubles will result in a loss of 5 points for each fighter. A fighter must still achieve 15 points to win.
- HEMA Fencing mask/helm, or a period helm with mesh/perforated metal eye protection covering the eye slots.
- Gorget (that actually protects the neck and can be armor grade leather, steel, or contemporary HEMA). These will be inspected before hand.
- Torso padding in the form of a fencing jacket, gambeson, or fencing doublet must be worn. The garment must provide an acceptable level of padding. Your arms must be covered with no skin exposed. This can be done by a long sleeved shirt under your doublet as an example.
- Protective cup for men must be worn. No cup, no fighting. Female protection for the chest or genital area are not required, but are recommended.
- Gloves: Wear a pair of gloves for light hand protection and gripping. Bear hands will not be allowed.
- Knee and lower leg protection are also highly recommended.
- elbow pads are also recommended for those not wearing a fencing jacket or gambeson with long sleeves.
If you are interested in competing, please contact us for any questions you may have. This particular tournament is projected to be a smaller tournament this year, but the prizes are great!
Bro. Jeff Webb, Founder/Lead Instructor
A.O.C. European Martial Arts